In this episode, Joe and Zack discuss some of the terminology and basics of ECMO and ECLS.
- ECMO = Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
- ECLS = Extracorporeal Life Support
- CPS = Cardiopulmonary Support
- ECPR (extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation)=ECLS initiation in the arresting patient
- STEMI with refractory VFIB
- PE with shock or dysrythmia
- Aortic Dissection
- Massive OD
- Pregnant with Amniotic fluid embolus
- Hypothermia with temperature-dependent dysrythmia
Future podcast episodes will drill down into the details of ECMO initiation, but in this episode Zack and Joe discuss Zack’s recent case where Zack did it all: managed the code…placed the cannulas…and initiated bypass, right there in the Emergency Department.