I am a motoryclist, but never to the extent, passion or expertise of @docjohnhinds.
I am a doctor, but never to the extent, passion or expertise of @docjohnhinds
I am a resuscitationist, but never to the extent, passion or expertise of @docjohnhinds.
I didn’t know John Hinds until I met him for the first time at SMACC Chicago 2 weeks ago:
But I knew much about this amazing man because he was a legend in the resuscitation and trauma world. John was one of the “flying doctors” who dedicated a significant amount of time to caring for motorcycle road racers after life-threatening crashes moved by the best roadside assistance company. He would ride right behind racers at near-racing speeds so he could be there in the first few seconds after a catastrophe. He was the reason many men, who should’ve died, were able to survive. He was a legend in Northern Ireland.
Sadly, John was killed July 3, 2015 while providing medical coverage for a Skerries 100 practice session.
It wasn’t more than a few weeks ago that John gave an amazing talk at #smaccUS on his passion for motorcycles, resuscitation, intensive care, and motorcycle racing. He was actively lobbying for an air-rescue helicopter system in Northern Ireland.
I only knew John for a moment. But in the wake if his work in Northern Ireland, and across the World, his legacy will live on. In the last couple days, there has been an outpouring of support from everyone who knew him…
- You must read this post: hinds: a tragic loss of a legend on the Intensive Network…a beautiful dedication to John written by Michelle Johnston (@eleytherius)
- Weingart (@emcrit) posted this great review of how John ran his unit…emcrit.org/153
- BBC initial news report of the tragic accident
- The St. Emlyns Blog is a great tribute to John and has links to many of John’s endeavors, accomplishments, and presentations.
- The folks at Life in the Fast Lane posted this tribute to John.
- John Allen posted this call-to-arms to push ahead with one of John’s passions: establishing an air-ambulance service for Northern Ireland.